Bill Dinkin has been practicing law since 1990 and, for the last eighteen years, has concentrated his practice in the area of criminal law and civil litigation. In each of the last seven years, his peers have voted him among the Legal Elite for criminal lawyers in Virginia Business magazine. He has also been recognized by his peers as a Virginia Super Lawyer in the area of criminal defense and white collar law. Mr. Dinkin teaches advanced trial advocacy as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Richmond and is a frequent lecturer on criminal law at legal seminars. He has also published legal articles in journals such as the University of Richmond Law Review and the Virginia Bar Association Journal.
Mr. Dinkin represents clients charged with all types of felonies and misdemeanors in state and federal court. He has extensive experience in federal court and has recently defended clients in federal jury and bench trials against charges such as wire, mail and bank frauds, environmental crimes, theft of trade secrets, money laundering, monetary structuring, drug conspiracies and narcotics distribution. He has extensive experience handling white collar crimes such as embezzlement and fraud in both state and federal courts and counsels businesses during both internal investigations and when they are the target of grand jury investigations. Mr. Dinkin also handles traffic, DUI, underage possession of alcohol, possession of marijuana and other misdemeanor cases in state court and appeals at all levels, state and federal.
Prior to joining Stone, Dinkin & Amirshahi, PLC, Mr. Dinkin co-founded the firm of Dinkin & Purnell, PLLC. He also served for almost nine years as a Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Richmond. In that position, he was in charge of white collar prosecutions, and supervised and prosecuted narcotics crimes, violent crimes and asset forfeiture. His extensive trial experience as a prosecutor includes hundreds of bench and jury trials, including capital murder, complex drug and financial crimes and the prosecution of public officials for corruption and theft.
In the civil arena, Mr. Dinkin has experience litigating collection efforts on behalf of corporations and individuals and also handles construction disputes.
Bill Dinkin graduated from the University of Richmond Law School, where he was a member of the McNeil Law Society (top 10% of class). He obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia. Bill is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Richmond Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Civil Litigation
- Virginia, 1990
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1990
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1990
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- Honors: McNeill Law Society
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- B.A. – 1986
- Honors: Dean’s List 1985-86
- Major: Biology
- Hayes & Dinkin, “Environmental Liability in Real Property Transactions, 23 U. Rich. L. Rev. 349., 1989
- William J. Dinkin & Cullen D. Seltzer, Survey of Virginia Criminal Law, 35 U. Rich. L. Rev. 537, 2001
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Richmond, 2000 – Present
Honors and Awards
- Virginia Legal Elite – Criminal Defense, 2003 – 2009, 2011, 2013-Present
- Virginia Superlawyers – White Collar Criminal Defense, 2006 – Present
- Best Lawyers in America – Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2016 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2002 – Present
- City of Richmond Bar Association, Member, 2002 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Dinkin & Purnell, PLLC, Partner, 2002 – 2010
- City of Richmond Commonwealth Attorney’s Office, Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney, 1994 – 2002