Todd Stone is a trial lawyer in Richmond, VA. He grew up in Harrisonburg, VA and graduated from the University of Richmond School of Law in 1991. He served in the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office for the City of Richmond, VA as well as Henrico County. As a prosecutor, he led both the violent crimes unit & the drug prosecution teams. He was appointed as Special Counsel to the Multi-Jurisdiction Grand Jury for the City of Richmond & the Counties of Henrico, Hanover & Chesterfield. In 1999, as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, he served as co-counsel in the prosecution of a “takeover” capital murder & bank robbery case. After more than a year of preparation and a successful trial, he & his team were presented with the Director’s Award from United States’ Attorney General, The Hon. Janet Reno, in Washington, DC.
He prosecuted numerous notable trials including murders, gang violence, the “fan area” serial rapist and multi-defendant drug conspiracies. With over 25 years of experience on both sides of the courtroom, Stone has handled several thousand criminal matters.
As a lawyer & partner at Stone, Dinkin & Amirshahi, PLC, he handles a select number of cases in order to devote the time & attention that each case deserves. His office is located in the historic Columbian Block building above the cobblestone streets of Shockoe Slip in downtown Richmond, VA.
Honors & Awards:
Todd has been peer-voted “Superlawyer” for multiple years, the “Nation’s Top One Percent,” the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers,” the “Top Ten Attorneys,” the “Ten Best,” in addition to the Director’s Award from U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno.
Broadcast Media Legal Analyst:
Todd Stone is regularly called as a legal analyst for several news outlets across Virginia & the U.S. including “NPR” National Public Radio, CNN, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, CBS This Morning & others.
He’s proud to serve central Virginia’s two most historic & relied upon news sources, WTVR CBS6 television news & WRVA news radio 1140 AM. WTVR CBS6 was the first television station established south of Washington, DC. WRVA-1140AM was established in 1925, was one of the first radio stations in the United States.
When he’s not working, Todd enjoys photography, painting, film, editing and family time. He spends much time advocating to help find a treatment or cure for Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy, a medical condition that affects his children. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation (MDF).
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1992
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. – 1991
- University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia
- M.B.A. – 1994
- Major: Business Administration
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
- B.S. – 1988
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Business Administration
- Adjunct Faculty, National College of District Attorneys Advocacy Center
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors, 2003 – 2007
- Richmond Criminal Bar, Member, 2001 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Henrico Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, Senior Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney, 1998 – 2000
- Richmond Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney, 1993 – 1998
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, 1997 – 1998